Teaching, Loving & Believing in Black Girls
Time & Location
About the Event
This event has officially reached capacity. We are so grateful for your support. We will host this session again on August 5, and would love to see you there! Registration is available in our events section.
Please note that American Sign Language Interpretation will be available for this event.
Who is this session for?
- ANY educators, Pre-K through 12, in public schools, private schools, or educational organizations who teach, work with, or work on behalf of Black girls
What is this session about?
- Being a Black girl is joyful, magical, and yet, sometimes complicated and difficult. Research has shown that Black girls are viewed by their teachers as more aggressive and less innocent, and are more likely to be punished than their White counterparts. This session will offer a brief overview of the research surrounding Black girls in classroom settings as well as a few strategies that can be implemented in the classroom to center Black girls’ voices. We will also discuss ways that teachers can work to counteract their biases in regard to Black girls, and will look at a few student reflections about what they wish their teachers knew and understood about being a Black girl. This session is great for teachers of grades K-12.
What can I expect to take away from the session?
- A review of data about Black girls in schools, as well as teacher bias
- Tangible tools to mitigate against bias and promote culturally responsive education
- Tips on how to start these conversations at your own schools
- Book recommendations to further your own learning
What will be the format of the session?
- The Wells Collective (TWC) offers Discussion Sessions, which offer open space for dialogue and healing, and Workshop Sessions, which feature direct content presentation by TWC members. This session is a TWC Workshop, with content being delivered by Dr. Shari Berga and Akailah Jenkins McIntyre.
Centering the needs of Black girls means centering the needs of ALL students. We can't wait to see you there!
- Sold OutTeaching Black Girls$0$00$0