*Teaching, Loving & Believing in Black Girls (Repeat session)
Time & Location
About the Event
Due to high demand for this sesson when it was first held on June 17, we will be hosting it again! 🎉 Can't wait to see y'all there!
Who is this session for?
- ANY educators, Pre-K through 12, in public schools, private schools, or educational organizations who teach, work with, or work on behalf of Black girls
What is this session about?
- Being a Black girl is joyful and magical, and yet, sometimes complicated and difficult. Research has shown that Black girls are viewed by their teachers as more aggressive and less innocent, and are more likely to be punished than their White counterparts. This session will offer a brief overview of the research surrounding Black girls in classroom settings as well as a few strategies that can be implemented in the classroom to center Black girls’ voices. We will also discuss ways that teachers can work to counteract their biases in regard to Black girls, and will look at a few student reflections about what they wish their teachers knew and understood about being a Black girl. This session is great for teachers of grades Pre-K through 12.
What can I expect to take away from the session?
- A review of data about Black girls in schools, as well as teacher bias
- Tangible tools to mitigate against bias and promote culturally responsive education
- Tips on how to start these conversations at your own schools
- Book recommendations to further your own learning
What will be the format of the session?
- The Wells Collective (TWC) offers Discussion Sessions, which offer open space for dialogue and healing, and Workshop Sessions, which feature direct content presentation by TWC members. This session is a TWC Workshop, with content being delivered by Dr. Shari Berga and Akailah Jenkins McIntyre.
Centering the needs of Black girls means centering the needs of ALL students. We can't wait to see you there!
- Free ticket option$0$00$0
- $5 Donation ticket option$5$50$0
- $10 Donation ticket option$10$100$0
- $25 Donation ticket option$25$250$0
- $50 Donation ticket option$50$500$0